Oost-Indisch Huis

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Oost-Indisch Huis

The Oost-Indisch Huis (Dutch for "East India House") is an early 17th-century building in the centre of Amsterdam. It was the headquarters of the Amsterdam chamber of the Dutch East India Company (Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie or VOC). It is a listed Dutch national heritage site (rijksmonument).

In 1603, the Amsterdam chamber of the East India Company began using part of the Bushuis armory on the Kloveniersburgwal canal as a warehouse. Two years later, the East India Company took over the whole building. However, the company still lacked meeting and office space, so a new building was constructed directly adjacent to the Bushuis. This building, completed in 1606, was called the Oost-Indisch Huis ("East India House") and was the first building especially built for the East India Company. In 1663-64, the western wing was extended. In addition, a northern wing was added, so that the building now also bordered the street Oude Hoogstraat. The last major extension was added between 1658 and 1661. A gate with Tuscan-style pilasters and a small tunnel lead to an inner courtyard with elegant facades in Amsterdam Renaissance style, a style closely identified with the architect Hendrick de Keyser, who was most likely responsible for designing the building.



Accommodations near Oost-Indisch Huis

View more options near Oost-Indisch Huis0

Nearby Tours & Activities