Marquess of Anglesey's Column

Anglesey, United Kingdom

Marquess of Anglesey's Column

8.4

The Marquess of Anglesey's Column (also known as Anglesey Column or by the Welsh name Tŵr Marcwis) is a Doric column near the Menai Strait in Wales. It is dedicated to Henry William Paget (the first Marquess of Anglesey) to commemorate his valour in the Napoleonic Wars. The column is a Grade II* listed building.

The 27-metre-high (89 ft) monument (designed by Thomas Harrison) was erected close to Paget's country retreat at Plas Newydd, in 1817. On the foundation stone there is an inscription, which also reads in Welsh and Latin;

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info


Accommodations near Marquess of Anglesey's Column

View more options near Marquess of Anglesey's Column

Nearby Tours & Activities