Central Auckland is the central business district and central suburbs of Auckland, located on the Auckland isthmus between the Waitemata and Manukau harbours. With its range of accommodation, attractions, restaurants, bars and transport links, it’s the part of Auckland, New Zealand's biggest city, where most visitors base themselves and spend the most time.
The Auckland isthmus was settled by Māori around 1350. The central business district (CBD) on the shore of the Waitemata Harbour is where the first European settlement of Auckland began in 1840. It was the capital of New Zealand from 1841 to 1865, when Wellington became the capital, and the Old Government House still stands, now part of the University of Auckland. Central Auckland is the part of wider Auckland that was known as "Auckland City" and governed by the Auckland City Council until 2010, when the region-wide Auckland Council replaced it.