Lopdell House

Auckland, New Zealand

Lopdell House

9.2

Lopdell House is situated next to Te Uru Waitakere Contemporary Gallery as part of the Lopdell Precinct arts centre in Titirangi, Auckland. It was first opened as Hotel Titirangi in 1930. In 1942 it was bought by the Ministry of Education and became a school for the deaf, and then a teacher's residential centre named Lopdell House. The Waitemata City Council (later Waitakere City Council and then merged with Auckland Council) purchased it in 1983 and leased it to the Lopdell House Society, who reopened in 1986 as an arts centre. Adjacent to the house is a statue of Titirangi founder, Henry Atkinson.

The original architects of Hotel Titirangi are Messrs. Bloomfield, Owen and Morgan of Auckland. Of these, William Swanson Read Bloomfield, based on Shortland Street, was one of the original directors of the Hotel Titirangi Ltd company. He was born in Gisborne and is considered to be the first qualified New Zealand architect of Maori descent, having trained in England, Europe and at the University of Pennsylvania, USA. Bloomfield retired in 1959 and is also known for the design of Queen's Arcade (Queen St), Yorkshire House (cnr Shortland and O'Connell Sts) and the Masonic Temple (St Benedict's St).

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Lopdell House

View more options near Lopdell House

Nearby Tours & Activities