St James Episcopal Church (Baltimore, Maryland)

Baltimore, United States

St James Episcopal Church (Baltimore, Maryland)

St. James Episcopal Church Lafayette Square, or St. James African Episcopal Church, founded in 1824, is a historic Episcopal church now located at 1024 W. Lafayette Avenue in the Lafayette Square Historic District of Baltimore, Maryland.

The historically African American parish, the first Colored Episcopal Mission south of the Mason–Dixon line, was first organized and Rev. William Levington held its first service in an "Upper Room" at Park Avenue and Marion Street on June 23, 1824. Only St. Philips Episcopal Church in New York and St. Thomas Church in Philadelphia (where Rev. Levington was ordained) are older. The congregation moved several times under Rev. Levington, building a new church at North (now Guilford) and Saratoga Streets which was dedicated on March 31, 1827. After his death, the congregation had a series of white ministers and lost its status as an independent parish.



Accommodations near St James Episcopal Church (Baltimore, Maryland)

View more options near St James Episcopal Church (Baltimore, Maryland)0

Nearby Tours & Activities