Bangalore Fort

Bangalore, India

Bangalore Fort

7.6

The Fort Church, Bangalore, was a church located within Bangalore Fort. The church was demolished to make place for the construction of the Vani Vilas Hospital. The Government of Mysore then allotted land in Chamrajpet for construction of a new church, St. Luke's Church, Bangalore. Early records refer to the Fort Church as the Drummer's Chapel, constructed by British soldiers after the fall of Tippu Sultan. The Fort Church, Bangalore was the first protestant church to be raised in Bangalore.

The Fort Church, Bangalore was among 15 churches built by the Government of Madras before 1833, when there were no special rules with regards to building churches. The Military board of the Madras Army approved the construction. The Church raised in 1807 was for the use of the British troops posted in the Bangalore Fort.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info


Accommodations near Bangalore Fort

View more options near Bangalore Fort

Nearby Tours & Activities