Government House of Thailand

Bangkok, Thailand

Government House of Thailand

Government House (Thai: ทำเนียบรัฐบาล; RTGS: thamniap ratthaban) refers to the offices of the Prime Minister of Thailand and appointed cabinet ministers. It contains conference rooms and is used for state functions and receptions of foreign guests. It consists of several palace-like structures extending over 11 acres (45,000 m2).

King Vajiravudh (Rama VI) commissioned the Italian architect Annibale Rigotti to design the main building in 1923, although construction would remain incomplete as Rigotti returned to Italy after the king's death in 1925. The house was originally called Baan Norasingha (Thai: บ้านนรสิงห์). Initially intended as a family residence for one of the king's favorite generals, General Chao Phraya Ram Rakop, the building became the prime minister's office in 1941. Prime Minister Plaek Phibunsongkhram then assigned Italian sculptor and artist Corrado Feroci to complete construction (also working on the building at this point was the architect Ercole Manfredi). The main building is crowned with a golden dome housing a statue of Phra Phrom and its façade resembles that of the Ca' d'Oro Palazzo in Venice.



Accommodations near Government House of Thailand

View more options near Government House of Thailand0

Nearby Tours & Activities