Saranrom Park

Bangkok, Thailand

Saranrom Park

8.6

Saranrom Park (Thai: สวนสราญรมย์, RTGS: Suan Saran Rom, pronounced [sǔan sā.rāːn rōm]) is a public park in Bangkok. It is located opposite the Grand Palace, between Sanam Chai, Charoen Krung and Rachini roads in Phra Borom Maha Ratchawang Subdistrict, Phra Nakhon District. The park occupies the former grounds of Saranrom Palace, which was built in 1866 and served as the residences of several princes and royal guests. The palace gardens were converted to serve as a public park under the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration in 1960.

In the past Saranrom Park was the part of Saranrom Palace which was established in 1874 by King Chulalongkorn (RamaV) on the advice of Henry Alabaster who desired this park to be similar to other country. It was decorated by fountains, garden flowers, orchids, perennial plant especially “red roses” which were a favorite flowers of Rama V and there are bird cages and animal cages in the park at that moment. Later in 1904, King Vajiravudh (Rama VI) used this park to train military skills to royal guard and was center place for tradition and culture. This place held “winter events” once during Rama VI reign and in 1932 King Prajadhipok (Rama VII) gave this place to be a location of Khana Ratsadon's office where a constitution celebration was held annually on 10 December. Siam's fist annual national beauty pageant Miss Siam (later Miss Thailand) was also held as a part of the yearly celebration. Later in 3 June 1960 this park was donated by government to Bangkok to be a public place for people in Bangkok.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info


Accommodations near Saranrom Park

View more options near Saranrom Park

Nearby Tours & Activities