Thonburi Palace

Bangkok, Thailand

Thonburi Palace

Thonburi Palace, also known in Thai as Phra Racha Wang Derm (Thai: พระราชวังเดิม, RTGS: Phraratchawang Doem, literally former palace), is the former royal palace of King Taksin, who ruled the Siamese (Thai) kingdom of Thonburi following the fall of Ayutthaya in 1767 and up until the establishment of Rattanakosin in 1782. It later served as the residence of several high-ranking members of the Chakri Dynasty until 1900 when the palace became the site of the Royal Thai Naval Academy. The palace is now within the grounds of the Royal Thai Navy headquarters in Bangkok, and is open for group visits pending advance appointment.

Following the fall of Ayutthaya in 1767 and subsequent Burmese withdrawal, the military leader Phraya Tak succeeded in reclaiming the cities of Ayutthaya and Thonburi (also known as Bangkok). He then established himself as king (later known as Taksin) and made Thonburi his new capital. He had a royal palace built within the old city walls, near the Wichayen Fort (which was renamed Wichai Prasit) on the western bank of the Chao Phraya River. The palace lay to the south of Wat Chaeng (now Wat Arun) and northeast of Wat Thai Talat (Wat Molilokkayaram), both Buddhist temples which were included within the palace grounds.



Accommodations near Thonburi Palace

View more options near Thonburi Palace0

Nearby Tours & Activities