Batumi Botanical Garden

Batumi, Georgia

Batumi Botanical Garden

The Batumi Botanical Garden (Georgian: ბათუმის ბოტანიკური ბაღი) is a 108 hectare area of land 9 km north of the city of Batumi, capital of Autonomous Republic of Adjara, Georgia. Located at the place called Mtsvane Kontskhi ("The Green Cape") on the Black Sea shore, it is one of the largest botanical gardens in the former Soviet Union.

The Batumi Botanical Garden was started by the Russian botanist Andrey Nikolayevich Krasnov (1862-1914), brother of General Pyotr Krasnov, in the 1880s and officially opened on November 3, 1912. He was aided by two skilled gardeners and decorators – the French D’Alphonse and the Georgian Yason Gordeziani. Krasnov died in 1914 and was interred at the garden which still houses his grave and statue.



Accommodations near Batumi Botanical Garden

View more options near Batumi Botanical Garden0

Nearby Tours & Activities