Mehmed Pasha Fountain

Belgrade, Serbia

Mehmed Pasha Fountain

9.2

Mehmed Paša Sokolović's Fountain (Serbian: Чесма Мехмед-паше Соколовића, romanized: Česma Mehmed-paše Sokolovića) is an Ottoman era fountain in Belgrade. It is located next to the Defterdar's Gate near the northwestern wall of the Upper Town of Belgrade Fortress. Evliya Çelebi states that the fountain was erected in 1576/77, during the lifetime of Grand Vizier Меhmed Paša Sokolović and it is his only surviving endowment in Belgrade. The precise position of the fountain does not appear in any cartographic sources until the 17th century. The earliest sketch dates back to a plan from the National Library in Paris from the early 17th century, in which the fountain was presented as a rectangular structure with three free sides.

The drinking fountain is located at the remains of the inner rampart, next to the cobblestone path which leads through the Defterdar's Gate into the Lower Town. It is situated opposite of the Clock Gate and its one side is bricked in the rampart behind it.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Mehmed Pasha Fountain

View more options near Mehmed Pasha Fountain

Nearby Tours & Activities