Monument and the Cemetery to the Liberators of Belgrade 1806

Belgrade, Serbia

Monument and the Cemetery to the Liberators of Belgrade 1806

Monument to the Liberators of Belgrade in Karađorđe's park is an authentic historical place of the camp of the main insurgent army and of the military cemetery of the liberators of Belgrade under Karađorđe during the Siege of Belgrade in 1806. The monument in the cemetery was erected by Prince Aleksandar Karađorđević in 1848. It is the first monument in Belgrade erected in the honour of a historical event, and at the same time the first public monument.

The park itself, with the cemetery and the monument is the only place with preserved authentic material remains that document the sojourn of the insurgent army in Belgrade, and evoke the memory of the capturing of Belgrade in 1806. The last remains of the insurgents' cemetery, which occupied a large part of the park, are the remaining twelve tombstones placed in a row during the reconstruction of the park. These memorials with stylized crosses and zig-zag lines resemble in type the rural tombstones from that period in the area around Belgrade. The monument from 1848 is very modest in form and in decoration. It is 547 cm high, made of yellowish stone and covered with the artificial stone. The marble plaques mounted on the sides bear the text of dedication and the text about the renovation of the monument in 1889.



Accommodations near Monument and the Cemetery to the Liberators of Belgrade 1806

View more options near Monument and the Cemetery to the Liberators of Belgrade 18060

Nearby Tours & Activities