Seismological Institute Building

Belgrade, Serbia

Seismological Institute Building

Seismological Institute Building (Serbian: Зграда Сеизмолошког завода, Zgrada Seizmološkog zavoda is located in Tašmajdan, park in Belgrade, the capital of Serbia. Built and adapted from 1908 to 1939, it was the first public building in this part of Belgrade and the first work of architect Momir Korunović, who later projected some of the most beautiful Belgrade buildings during the Interbellum and was nicknamed "Serbian Gaudi". It has been declared a cultural monument in 2007.

After an earthquake hit the town of Svilajnac in 1893, one of the strongest ever in Serbia, instigated by the geologist Jovan Žujović, the Geology institute of the Great School began collecting data on earthquakes. After the Great School was transformed into the University of Belgrade in 1905, University established the Seismology Institute in 1906 and proposed the location of Tašmajdan.



Accommodations near Seismological Institute Building

View more options near Seismological Institute Building0

Nearby Tours & Activities