Lemke House

Berlin, Germany

Lemke House

The Lemke House (also Landhaus Lemke or Mies van der Rohe Haus ) on Oberseestra├če 60 in the Berlin district of Alt-Hohensch├Ânhausen is the last house designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe in Germany before his emigration to the United States in 1938. It was built in Bauhaus style at the beginning of the 1930s under the name Villa Lemke.

In 1932, the manufacturer couple Martha and Karl Lemke bought a two-storey property on the street with access to the Obersee. On the advice of an acquaintance, they contacted the renowned architect who was to carry out the construction. After several plans, mostly for a two-storey building, work began in the summer of 1932. The costs amounted to 16,000 Reichsmarks (purchasing power adjusted in today's currency: around 61,000 euros). In spring 1933 the Lemkes were able to move into their house. The L-shaped building is relatively simple and modest, but it also met the requirements of the childless couple.



Accommodations near Lemke House

View more options near Lemke House0

Nearby Tours & Activities