Martin-Gropius-Bau

Berlin, Germany

Martin-Gropius-Bau

8.6

Martin-Gropius-Bau, commonly known as Gropius Bau, is an important exhibition building in Berlin, Germany. Originally a museum of applied arts, the building has been a listed historical monument since 1966. It is located at 7 Niederkirchnerstraße in Berlin-Kreuzberg,

The building was erected between 1877 and 1881 by the architects Martin Gropius, a great uncle of Walter Gropius, and Heino Schmieden in the neo-Renaissance style. The building officially opened in 1881. The ground plan is quadratic (length of each side c. 70 m; building height c. 26 m). The exhibition rooms surround an imposing atrium decorated with mosaics and the coats of arms of German states by sculptor Otto Lessing.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Martin-Gropius-Bau

View more options near Martin-Gropius-Bau

Nearby Tours & Activities