Iosefin Synagogue

Besenic, Romania

Iosefin Synagogue

The Iosefin Synagogue (the Orthodox Temple) is a synagogue located in Iosefin, a neighbourhood of Timișoara, Romania. Built in 1895, it is one of the big three synagogues in the city, and the last still functioning.

The synagogue was originally used for Orthodox Jewish believers and its rabbis between the world wars were the rabbis Schück senior and junior. A Jewish primary school and kindergarten operated in the yard. The name "Temple" is due to the newer more impressive architecture of the building (in comparison to the old little Jewish prayer houses) and to the use of the Hungarian word "Templom" for both churches and synagogues.



Accommodations near Iosefin Synagogue

View more options near Iosefin Synagogue0

Nearby Tours & Activities