Arlington Antebellum Home & Gardens

Birmingham, United States

Arlington Antebellum Home & Gardens

8.6

Arlington Antebellum Home & Gardens, or Arlington Historic House, is a former plantation house and 6 acres (24,000 m2) of landscaped gardens near downtown Birmingham, Alabama. The two-story frame structure was built between 1845–50 and features antebellum-era Greek Revival architecture. The house serves as a decorative arts museum, featuring a collection of 19th-century furniture, textiles, silver, and paintings. The garden features a restored garden room that is used for special events. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 2, 1970, as Arlington, and has also been known as the Mudd-Munger House.

The classic Greek revival style architecture of this two-story home was the construction of a settler from Georgia by the name of Stephen Hall in 1822. Hall came to Birmingham to assist in the building process of a new courthouse and jail. He acquired the original seventeen acres of land and began construction of the future Arlington Home and Gardens.[ii] In 1840 Hall's son, Samuel inherited the plantation, but died two years later, leaving his loved ones with a large debt to pay off.[iii] Because of this debt the family was forced to auction off the plantation for a mere 600 dollars to a man by the name of William Mudd.[iv] Mudd served over twenty years as a Circuit Court Judge in Elyton until he resigned in 1883.[v] Judge Mudd purchased an adjacent eighty acres and[vi] added greatly to the site which he named it “The Grove”. (https://alarchitecture.ua.edu/arlington-home-and-gardens/).

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Arlington Antebellum Home & Gardens

View more options near Arlington Antebellum Home & Gardens

Nearby Tours & Activities