Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument (Birmingham, Alabama)

Birmingham, United States

Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument (Birmingham, Alabama)

The Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument was a commemorative obelisk that was erected in Linn Park, Birmingham, Alabama in 1905. The monument was dismantled and removed in 2020.

The cornerstone of the Monument plinth was laid during the 1894 Reunion of United Confederate Veterans on Confederate Decoration Day, April 26. and contained a Bible and Confederate flag. The slab of rock was unused for several years, though a surplus artillery piece from the Spanish–American War of 1898 once rested on it. On May 29, 1896, The United Daughters of the Confederacy held a meeting to decide what to do with the plinth and, in 1900, raised money for construction of the obelisk. The 52 foot high monument was completed on April 27, 1905.



Accommodations near Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument (Birmingham, Alabama)

View more options near Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument (Birmingham, Alabama)0

Nearby Tours & Activities