Linn Park, Birmingham, Alabama

Birmingham, United States

Linn Park, Birmingham, Alabama

Linn Park is a seven-acre (2.8 ha) urban park in the centre of Birmingham, Alabama. It is overlooked by Birmingham City Hall. Formerly known as Capitol Park, Woodrow Wilson Park, and Central Park, the park was renamed after Confederate naval officer and businessman Charles Linn in the 1980s.

From 1905 until 2020, the park was home to the Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument, a 52-foot (16 m)-high obelisk erected by the Daughters of the Confederacy, even though the city itself did not exist until after the Civil War. Following protests in 2020 after the murder of George Floyd, during which protestors damaged and tried to remove the monument, the mayor removed the obelisk, leaving only the plinth. A statue of Charles Linn was installed in 2013 and toppled on May 31, 2020, during the George Floyd protests. The state Attorney General responded by filing a new lawsuit against the city.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info


Accommodations near Linn Park, Birmingham, Alabama

View more options near Linn Park, Birmingham, Alabama0

Nearby Tours & Activities