San Martino, Bologna

Bologna, Italy

San Martino, Bologna

San Martino church, also called San Martino Maggiore is a Gothic-style, Roman Catholic church located at the corner of Via Marsala and Via Guglielmo Oberdan in Bologna, region of Emilia Romagna, Italy. The church was founded by the adjacent Carmelite monastery. In August 1941 Pope Pius XII elevated it to the status of a minor basilica.

A church at the site was built in 1217. The brick tracery vaults of the ceiling were added in 1457. The present facade was added in 1879, in an Gothic style, and displays statues of various saints. Atop a pillar in the piazza just in front of the church is a statue of the Madonna and Child with a Scapular (1705) by Andrea Ferreri. In the lunette above the side entrance portal is a bas-relief of St Martin on horseback giving half his robe to a Beggar (1531) by Francesco Manzini; the portal has a classical decoration with bucranium (cow skulls).



Accommodations near San Martino, Bologna

View more options near San Martino, Bologna0

Nearby Tours & Activities