Santa Maria Lacrimosa degli Alemanni

Bologna, Italy

Santa Maria Lacrimosa degli Alemanni

Santa Maria Lacrimosa degli Alemanni is a small church and sanctuary, built during the Renaissance era, and located on Via Mazzini number 65 in central Bologna, Italy.

Originally sandwiched between the no longer-extant parish church of Santa Maria degli Alemanni and a still-active monastery of Carmelite nuns, Visitazione di Santa Maria, the sanctuary was built to house an icon of the Lacrimose (crying) Virgin that had been painted on a wall at the site. The portico of the church was originally commissioned by the Bolognese Senate in 1539, and the columns are adorned with the symbol of the Senate. By the 1600s, the sanctuary was attached to Carmelite nuns who constructed the adjacent convent. The present church was extensively refurbished over the centuries. Between 1619 and 1625, the chapels of the Saints Teresa and Joseph were built. Among the architects involved at this time was Floriano Ambrosini. In 1690, the polychrome marble Chapel of the Holy Family was completed, designed by Ferdinando Bibiena. In the 18th-century, Alfonso Torreggiani reconstructed one of the chapels. In 1797, the Napoleonic authorities closed the convent and sanctuary. Two of the altarpieces, an Assumption of the Virgin by Lorenzo Sabbatini and a Madonna degli Scalzi (1590) by Ludovico Carracci, were looted to France.



Accommodations near Santa Maria Lacrimosa degli Alemanni

View more options near Santa Maria Lacrimosa degli Alemanni0

Nearby Tours & Activities