St. Leonard's Church (Boston)

Boston, United States

St. Leonard's Church (Boston)

St. Leonard of Port Maurice, or more simply St. Leonard's, is a parish of the Roman Catholic Church in the Archdiocese of Boston. It is noted for its historic parish church located at the corner of Hanover and Prince Streets in the North End of Boston, one of the oldest churches built by Italian immigrants in the United States. The church is a pending Boston Landmark.

In 1873, Archbishop Williams asked the Franciscans of the Immaculate Conception Province to minister to Boston's growing population of Italian immigrants. Fr. Angelo Conterno, OFM, founded the Saint Leonard of Port Maurice parish soon afterwards. Construction of the current building, designed in the Romanesque style by architect William Holmes, did not begin until 1885. The church in the basement opened to the public in 1891, with an estimated 20,000 parishioners. The upper church and the friary on North Bennet Street were completed in 1899. The interior, with its ornate Italian style and color scheme, was created by immigrant craftsmen who were also parishioners.



Accommodations near St. Leonard's Church (Boston)

View more options near St. Leonard's Church (Boston)0

Nearby Tours & Activities