St Lucia Uniting Church

Brisbane, Australia

St Lucia Uniting Church

9

The St Lucia Presbyterian Church is a heritage-listed church at 7 Hawken Drive, St Lucia, City of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Built in 1952, it was designed by Ronald Martin Wilson trading as R. Martin Wilson, Architect and Architectural Engineers (Firm Job Number: 856). The church was originally commissioned for the St Lucia congregation of Presbyterians, subsequently becoming the property of the Uniting Church of Australia. This church was the first substantial commission awarded to R. Martin Wilson after World War II. It is listed on the Brisbane Heritage Register.

Before the commission for this church during 1949, the Presbyterian community of St Lucia were forced to worship at the nearby Toowong Presbyterian Church. As the congregation grew in size it became apparent that a church for the St Lucia community became necessary. During the late 1940s, many young Presbyterians from the local area received religious instruction at a room within the local primary school, Ironside State School. However during August 1947, the State Moderator of the Presbyterian Church, Rt. Rev. Norman Leslie Douglas Webster, dedicated a relocated army hut as a place of worship for the St Lucia congregation. While Rev. James Frederick McKay would preach from this space, the army hut was still considered an extension of the Toowong Church. Nevertheless, the Presbyterian Church of Queensland did consider this a temporary resolution to the needs of a growing congregation and thus it was revealed that plans were to be drawn up for a permanent church. This church, with a budget of £6000, was to be located on two adjoining allotments on Hawken Drive in St Lucia, which was proximate to the temporary place of worship.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near St Lucia Uniting Church

View more options near St Lucia Uniting Church

Nearby Tours & Activities