Lytton Quarantine Station

Brisbane City, Australia

Lytton Quarantine Station

8.8

Lytton Quarantine Station is a heritage-listed former quarantine station at 160 South Street, Lytton, City of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. It was built from 1913 to c. 1914. It is also known as Customs Reserve and Lytton Quarantine Complex and Animal Detention Centre. It is included within the Fort Lytton National Park. It was added to the Queensland Heritage Register on 22 September 2000.

The Lytton Quarantine Station was established in 1913–1914, to accommodate newly arrived immigrants and persons considered to be at risk of causing infection to the general population.. Situated at an isolated location at the mouth of the Brisbane River, the place illustrates early 20th century attitudes to quarantine practices and the provision of quarantine facilities, and is important as part of a continuum of sites in and adjacent to Moreton Bay, used for quarantine purposes from 1844.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Lytton Quarantine Station

View more options near Lytton Quarantine Station

Nearby Tours & Activities