Youngs Building

Brisbane City, Australia

Youngs Building

Youngs Building is a heritage-listed warehouse at 93–103 Edward Street (corner of Mary Street), Brisbane City, City of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. It was built in 1910 and repaired in 1912. It is also known as Optical Products. It was added to the Queensland Heritage Register on 22 February 1995.

This building was constructed in 1910. Recognising the investment potential of this warehouse precinct, Horace Edwin Broughton Young and Charles Ernest Young purchased the site of the Commercial Hotel for redevelopment in July 1909. The Young family founded the Fairymead Sugar Company Limited in 1879 which by 1912 was one of the largest mills in the Southern Hemisphere. The timber framed brick warehouse constructed on this site in 1910, at a cost of £16,000, was three storeys high, with a basement, and a fourth storey on the corner section. The building was leased the same year to Queensland Agency Company (merchants), Kronheimer Ltd (tobacco and cigar merchants) and Gregory and Davidson (merchants and arrowroot manufacturers). On 30 April 1912 fire broke out in the corner section of Youngs Building, occupied by the Queensland Agency and caused considerable damage to parts of the building and much of the stock kept on the premises. The fourth floor collapsed and was never rebuilt, leaving the repaired building three storeys throughout.



Accommodations near Youngs Building

View more options near Youngs Building0

Nearby Tours & Activities