Austin Friary, Bristol

Bristol, United Kingdom

Austin Friary, Bristol

Austin Friary was an Augustinian friary in Bristol, England. It was established in 1313, when Simon de Montecute gave 100 square feet (9.3 m2) of land within the Temple Gate of Bristol. Further gifts of land were made by William de Montecute and Thomas of Berkeley during the next thirty years.

The monks constructed a pipe to supply themselves with water from a reservoir on the west bank of the Avon. This reservoir was fed from a spring, Ravenswell, in the cliff rising to Totterdown from the Avon. The pipe remained in use for water supply to the Temple district until the nineteenth century.



Accommodations near Austin Friary, Bristol

View more options near Austin Friary, Bristol0

Nearby Tours & Activities