Blackfriars, Bristol

Bristol, United Kingdom

Blackfriars, Bristol

Blackfriars, Bristol was a Dominican priory in Broadmead, Bristol, England. It was founded by Maurice de Gaunt in 1227 or 1228. Llywelyn ap Dafydd, son of Dafydd ap Gruffydd, the last native Prince of Wales, was buried in the cemetery of the priory. Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the 16th century, surviving parts of the priory became a guildhall for the Smiths and Cutlers Company, the Bakers Company, a workhouse and then a meeting house for the Quakers. In the 20th century, it has housed the local register office, a theatre company, and a restaurant.

Blackfriars was founded as a Dominican priory by Maurice de Gaunt circa 1227. The site in Broadmead was just north of the town walls. The name "Blackfriars" comes from the black hooded cloak that the friars wore over their white habits. Henry III supported the building of the church and priory, which took over forty years. Oak was supplied from the Forest of Dean and the king granted the friars charitable gifts and a moiety of fish landed in the port.



Accommodations near Blackfriars, Bristol

View more options near Blackfriars, Bristol0

Nearby Tours & Activities