Kazinczy Street Synagogue

Budapest, Hungary

Kazinczy Street Synagogue

8

Kazinczy Street Synagogue is an Art Nouveau orthodox synagogue built between 1912 and 1913 Budapest VII. district, 29-31 Kazinczy Street number. It is one of the most characteristic works of Hungarian synagogue architecture before the First World War.

After the Jews of Pest split into three branches at the end of the 19th century, the idea of building an Orthodox synagogue in Elizabeth City came to mind in 1909. The site of Kazinczy Street, owned by the Pest Autonomous Orthodox Jewish Community, was designated as a suitable site for construction. On June 25, the same year, the elders of the community announced the application for the design of a complete building complex, which included, besides the synagogue, a community headquarters, a kindergarten, a school and a public kitchen. Among the entries received by the deadline of November 1, the jury selected the designs of József Porgesz and Sándor Skultetzky, Emil Ágoston, Sándor Löffler and Béla Löffler. At the end of the second round of the competition in April 1910, the committee recommended the work of Porgesz and Skultetzky to be carried out, but the community, in May overruled the decision, accepted the application of the Löffler brothers. 650,000 crowns were set aside for the construction costs, and the detailed design documentation of Sándor Löffler and Béla was approved on November 8, 1910. With this, construction began.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Kazinczy Street Synagogue

View more options near Kazinczy Street Synagogue

Nearby Tours & Activities