Fort de Goede Hoop

Cape Town, South Africa

Fort de Goede Hoop

The Fort de Goede Hoop ('Fort of Good Hope') was the first military building to be erected in what is now Cape Town. It was built in 1652, and was in use until 1674 when it was superseded by the Castle of Good Hope.

The Fort was built by the Dutch East India Company, when it established a replenishment station under Jan van Riebeeck on the shore of Table Bay in 1652. Constructed of earth and timber, it was square, with a pointed bastion at each corner. The bastions were named Drommedaris, Walvisch, Oliphant, and Reijger. The bastions were named after the ships in Van Riebeeck's fleet.



Accommodations near Fort de Goede Hoop

View more options near Fort de Goede Hoop0

Nearby Tours & Activities