Chiesa di San Benedetto

Catania, Italy

Chiesa di San Benedetto

9

San Benedetto is a late-Baroque architecture, Roman Catholic church and former Benedictine monastery in the city Catania, Sicily, southern Italy. The church facade faces Via Crociferi, parallels across via San Benedetto the former-Jesuit church of San Francesco Borgia, and both are about a block south along Crociferi from the church and convent of San Giuliano. Entrance to church and monastery appear to be through Piazza Asmundo #9 near the apse of the church.

Dedicated to St. Benedict of Nursia, a first church at the site was completed in April 1334, endowed by the noblewoman Alemanna Lumella. However, like most buildings in town, it was razed by the 1693 Sicily earthquake; only 5 nuns survived the disaster. The church was rebuilt by 1714, but construction of the monastery continued until 1763. Giovanni Battista Vaccarini was one of the main architects. The church is part of a monastic complex including also the Badia Maggiore and the Badia Minore, connected by a covered arch (Arco delle Monache Benedettinne) over the road, allowing for the cloistered nuns to cross.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Chiesa di San Benedetto

View more options near Chiesa di San Benedetto

Nearby Tours & Activities