Anglican Diocese of Christchurch

Christchurch, New Zealand

Anglican Diocese of Christchurch

The Diocese of Christchurch is one of the thirteen dioceses and hui amorangi of the Anglican Church in Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia. The Diocese covers the area between the Conway River and the Waitaki River in the South Island of New Zealand.

The Diocese of Christchurch was established in 1856 by the subdivision of the Diocese of New Zealand. Henry Harper, who arrived in Lyttelton on the Egmont on 23 December 1856, was the first bishop. The seat of the Bishop of Christchurch is at ChristChurch Cathedral in Christchurch. Before the Christchurch diocese was founded, it was intended that a bishop for the South Island would have his See at Lyttelton; see Thomas Jackson (Bishop-designate of Lyttelton).



Accommodations near Anglican Diocese of Christchurch

View more options near Anglican Diocese of Christchurch0

Nearby Tours & Activities