Peacock Fountain

Christchurch, New Zealand

Peacock Fountain

9.4

The Peacock Fountain was bought by the Christchurch Beautifying Society from money bequeathed by John Thomas Peacock, a trader, politician and philanthropist. The fountain was unveiled in 1911, moved to a new location some years later, and put into storage in 1949. After a $270,000 renovation, it was commissioned again in 1996, in its third location in the Christchurch Botanic Gardens. It has an elaborate colour scheme and is a much photographed tourist attraction.

Peacock (1827 – 20 October 1905) came to Lyttelton in 1844 with his parents. Settlement organised by the Canterbury Association started in December 1850, so the Peacocks were in the colony at a very early stage. He built the first substantial wharf in Lyttelton Harbour and was well established as a merchant when the First Four Ships arrived in 1850. He later owned several ships, traded as J.T. Peacock and Co. and was successful enough that he could retire from business in 1863, aged 37.




Accommodations near Peacock Fountain

View more options near Peacock Fountain

Nearby Tours & Activities