Rose Historic Chapel

Christchurch, New Zealand

Rose Historic Chapel

The Rose Historic Chapel, formerly known as the St Mary's Convent Chapel, is a heritage-listed stone church building located in Colombo Street in Christchurch, New Zealand. It is registered as a "Historic Place – Category II " by the New Zealand Historic Places Trust. The building was designed in the Gothic Revival style and erected in 1910.

The first Bishop of Christchurch, John Grimes (1842–1915), arrived in Christchurch in February 1888. He provided leadership to the Catholic community, and worked towards uniting the class differences, political opinions and different nationalities of the settlers. During his reign, many churches and buildings were constructed, including the Sisters of Mercy St Mary's Convent. For his silver jubilee as a bishop, he was invested with several ecclesiastical honours for his contributions.



Accommodations near Rose Historic Chapel

View more options near Rose Historic Chapel0

Nearby Tours & Activities