Church of St Leonard at the Hythe, Colchester

Colchester, United Kingdom

Church of St Leonard at the Hythe, Colchester

The Church of St Leonard at the Hythe is a redundant Anglican church in Hythe, Colchester, Essex, England. It is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building, and is under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. The church stands on the north side of Hythe Hill, in the Hythe area of Colchester.

For many years St Leonard's served as the church of the port of Colchester. Its earliest fabric dates from the 14th century. Additions and alterations were made in the following century, and the hammerbeam roof of the nave dates from the early 16th century. During the Siege of Colchester in the Civil War, Royalist soldiers took refuge in the church. Bullet holes from this incident survive in the door. In the earthquake of 1884 the tower was damaged and its top stage was replaced.



Accommodations near Church of St Leonard at the Hythe, Colchester

View more options near Church of St Leonard at the Hythe, Colchester0

Nearby Tours & Activities