St James the Less and St Helen Church, Colchester

Colchester, United Kingdom

St James the Less and St Helen Church, Colchester

St James the Less and St Helen Church is a Roman Catholic Parish church in Colchester, Essex, England. It was built in 1837 and designed by Joseph John Scoles. It is situated on Priory Street between the junction with East Hill and St Thomas More Catholic Primary School in the town centre. Next to it is the church hall which was built in 1911 and designed by Alexander Scoles.

At the end of the eighteenth century, the Roman Catholic community in Colchester consisted of exiles from the French Revolution. In the early nineteenth century Irish Catholic soldiers were stationed in the town. In 1814, a French priest, Fr Amand Benard, served the community and the local garrison.



Accommodations near St James the Less and St Helen Church, Colchester

View more options near St James the Less and St Helen Church, Colchester0

Nearby Tours & Activities