Great St. Martin Church, Cologne

Cologne, Germany

Great St. Martin Church, Cologne

8.8

The Great Saint Martin Church (German: Groß Sankt Martin, mostly shortened to Groß St. Martin, pronounced [ˈɡʁoːs ˌzaŋt ˈmaʁtɪn] (listen) or [- maʁˈtiːn] (listen), Colognian: [ˈjʁus² ˌtsɪnt ˈmɛ²təs] (listen)) is a Romanesque Catholic church in Cologne, Germany. Its foundations (c.960 AD) rest on remnants of a Roman chapel, built on what was then an island in the Rhine. The church was later transformed into a Benedictine monastery. The current buildings, including a soaring crossing tower that is a landmark of Cologne's Old Town, were erected between 1150-1250. The architecture of its eastern end forms a triconch or trefoil plan, consisting of three apses around the crossing, similar to that at St. Maria im Kapitol. The church was badly damaged in World War II; restoration work was completed in 1985.

As of 2009 Great Saint Martin is being used by a branch of the Monastic Fraternities of Jerusalem and is open for visits again.




Accommodations near Great St. Martin Church, Cologne

View more options near Great St. Martin Church, Cologne

Nearby Tours & Activities