General Post Office, Edinburgh

Dalkeith, United Kingdom

General Post Office, Edinburgh

The General Post Office (GPO) is a former post office building in Edinburgh, Scotland. It was built 1861–65 on the site of the Old Theatre Royal, between Waterloo Place and North Bridge, Edinburgh, to the design of architect and Clerk of Works for Scotland, Robert Matheson. In 1861, Albert, Prince Consort laid the foundation stone. The ceremony took place on the same day as the first stone was laid for the new Royal Museum of Scotland (now the National Museum).


Accommodations near General Post Office, Edinburgh

View more accommodations near General Post Office, Edinburgh

Nearby Tours & activities