Shaw's Bridge

Drumbo, United Kingdom

Shaw's Bridge

Shaw's Bridge is the name given to two adjacent bridges across the River Lagan in Belfast, Northern Ireland. The older of the bridges is a historic stone arched bridge, which is open to cyclists and pedestrians. The new bridge is a concrete bridge which carries the A55 road.

The crossing is located at a shallow section of the Lagan, which had historically been used as a crossing point. A bridge was first built in 1655 by Captain John Shaw of Oliver Cromwell's army. This bridge was made out of oak and replaced with a stone bridge in 1698. The first stone bridge was destroyed by flood and replaced with the current bridge in 1707.



Accommodations near Shaw's Bridge

View more options near Shaw's Bridge0

Nearby Tours & Activities