Dalkey Quarry

Dublin, Ireland

Dalkey Quarry

9.4

Dalkey Quarry ( DAW-kee) is a long-disused 19th century granite quarry located on Dalkey Hill in the Dublin suburb of Dalkey, which was used to build several large maritime structures in south Dublin. Since passing into public ownership in the early 20th century and becoming part of Killiney Hill Park, it has become one of the most important rock climbing venues in Ireland, with over 350 graded routes, some of which are amongst the hardest single-pitch rock climbs in the country such as Indecent Assault (E8 6c, one of Ireland's first-ever E8 routes, first ascended in 1995). The climbs are all traditional climbing routes and no bolted sport climbing routes are permitted, although some metal pegs are tolerated on the most extreme routes.

Quarrying started in 1815–1817 on Dalkey Hill in order to supply granite for the construction of the new harbour pier at nearby Dún Laoghaire, as well as for the construction of the South Bull Wall (part of the outer defences of Dublin Harbour) and as flagstone for Dublin streets. In the 1840s, stone from the quarry was exported to Newfoundland by Bishop Michael Fleming for the construction of the Basilica of St. John the Baptist in St. John's.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info


Accommodations near Dalkey Quarry

View more options near Dalkey Quarry

Nearby Tours & Activities