Cameron Indoor Stadium

Durham, United States

Cameron Indoor Stadium

Cameron Indoor Stadium is an indoor arena located on the campus of Duke University in Durham, North Carolina. The 9,314-seat facility is the primary indoor athletic venue for the Duke Blue Devils and serves as the home court for Duke men's and women's basketball and women's volleyball. It opened in January 1940 and was known as Duke Indoor Stadium until 1972, when it was named for Eddie Cameron, who served at Duke as men's basketball coach from 1928 to 1942, football coach from 1942 to 1945, and athletic director from 1951 to 1972. The arena is located adjacent to its predecessor, Card Gymnasium, which opened in 1930.

The plans for the stadium were drawn up in 1935 by basketball coach Eddie Cameron. The stadium was designed by Julian Abele, who studied at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris, France. The same architectural firm that built the Palestra was brought in to build the new stadium. The arena was dedicated on January 6, 1940, having cost $400,000. At the time, it was the largest gymnasium in the country south of the Palestra at the University of Pennsylvania. Originally called "Duke Indoor Stadium", it was renamed for Cameron on January 22, 1972; that day the Blue Devils beat archrival North Carolina 76-74. The first nationally televised game took place on January 28, 1979, against Marquette; the 69-64 Duke win was broadcast by NBC. Regionally televised games in the Atlantic Coast Conference, including from the (then) Duke Indoor Stadium, had begun in the late 1950s.



Accommodations near Cameron Indoor Stadium

View more options near Cameron Indoor Stadium0

Nearby Tours & Activities