Canongate Tolbooth

Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Canongate Tolbooth

Canongate Tolbooth is a historic landmark of the Old Town area of Edinburgh, built in 1591 as a tolbooth, that is, the centre of administration and justice of the then separate burgh of the Canongate which was outside the Edinburgh town walls. The building is now occupied by The People's Story Museum and is protected as a category A listed building.

The tower of the tolbooth was built in 1591, and the block to the east of it at that time or slightly after, by Sir Lewis Bellenden, baron of Broughton and feudal superior of the burgh of Canongate and Lord Justice Clerk of Scotland. It was the courthouse, burgh jail and meeting place of the town council.



Accommodations near Canongate Tolbooth

View more options near Canongate Tolbooth0

Nearby Tours & Activities