St Mary's Cathedral, Edinburgh (Episcopal)

Edinburgh, United Kingdom

St Mary's Cathedral, Edinburgh (Episcopal)

St Mary's Cathedral (Scottish Gaelic: Cathair-eaglais Naomh Moire) or the Cathedral Church of Saint Mary the Virgin is a cathedral of the Scottish Episcopal Church in the West End of Edinburgh, Scotland. It was built in the late 19th century in the West End of Edinburgh's New Town. The cathedral is the see of the Bishop of Edinburgh, one of seven bishops within the Episcopal Church, which is part of the Anglican Communion. Designed in a Gothic style by Sir George Gilbert Scott, the cathedral is now protected as a category A listed building. and part of the Old Town and New Town of Edinburgh World Heritage Site. Reaching 90 metres (295 ft), its spire makes the building the highest in the Edinburgh urban area.

In 1689, following the Glorious Revolution, Presbyterianism was restored in place of episcopacy in the national Church of Scotland. St Giles' Cathedral, Edinburgh, as it then was, came under the Established Church's ministry, resulting in Episcopalians being left without a cathedral in Edinburgh. For a time the Episcopal residue of that congregation worshipped in an old woollen mill in Carrubber's Close, near the site of the present Old Saint Paul's Church. This was used as a pro-cathedral until the early 19th century, when this function was served by the Church of St Paul in York Place.



Accommodations near St Mary's Cathedral, Edinburgh (Episcopal)

View more options near St Mary's Cathedral, Edinburgh (Episcopal)0

Nearby Tours & Activities