West Register House

Edinburgh, United Kingdom

West Register House

West Register House is a building of the National Records of Scotland, located on Charlotte Square in Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom. The building was constructed between 1811 and 1814 as St George's Church and converted to its current purpose as a records office between 1964 and 1970.

The church's site in the centre of the western side of Charlotte Square had been designated for a church as part of James Craig's initial plan for the New Town. The building was designed by Robert Reid after a similar but more intricate plan by Robert Adam, who designed the square's surrounding terraces. Construction began in 1811 and, though initially projected to cost £18,000, the total cost came to £33,000. The facade centres on an Ionic portico, above which rises a substantial green copper dome on a tall, peristyle drum. The dome, topped by a gilt cupola and cross, is a prominent feature of the Edinburgh skyline and terminates the view west along George Street. The interior of the church was gutted during its conversion as a records office. It had been noted for its tall pulpit by William Trotter.



Accommodations near West Register House

View more options near West Register House0

Nearby Tours & Activities