Bab Mahrouk

Fès, Morocco

Bab Mahrouk

Bab Mahrouk, also spelled Bab Mahruq, (Arabic: باب المحروق‎ ) is historically the main western city gate of Fes el Bali, the old walled city of Fes, Morocco. The gate dates from 1204 and is located on the northwestern corner of Place Bou Jeloud, near the edge of Kasbah an-Nouar. It was historically the approximate starting point of the old city's main street, Tala'a Kebira.: 126 

The current gate was built in 1204 by the Almohad ruler Muhammad al-Nasir (ruled 1199-1213), who rebuilt the city walls and fortifications of Fes generally. It was also known (perhaps at an earlier period before the Almohad construction) as Bab ash-Shari'a (باب الشريعة meaning roughly "Gate of Justice/Law"), but became known as Bab Mahruq ("Gate of the Burnt") after the body of a Wazzani rebel called al-'Ubaydi was burnt here in 1203-04 (600 AH).: 110  The heads of executed rebels were hung here on display, a practice that continued on occasion even up to the beginning of the 20th century. On some occasions the condemned were hung by the wrists just above the ground for a full day before their execution. Today the gate is still standing but several other openings in the wall have been created nearby to allow for the passage of vehicles and regular traffic.



Accommodations near Bab Mahrouk

View more options near Bab Mahrouk0

Nearby Tours & Activities