Dar Glaoui

Fès, Morocco

Dar Glaoui

Dar Glaoui or Glaoui Palace (sometimes called by its French name, Palais Glaoui) is a late 19th-century and early 20th-century palace in Fez, Morocco. It was originally constructed and owned by Thami El Glaoui, the pasha of Marrakesh at the time, and is located in the southwestern district of Fes el-Bali.

The Glaoui family was one of the most powerful political clans in Morocco in the later 19th century and in the first half of the 20th century, having risen to prominent positions of power under Muhammad IV and subsequent sultans. The same family had also constructed a lavish kasbah and fortified residence in Telouet, in the High Atlas, starting in 1860. Towards the end of 19th century Thami el Glaoui became one of the most powerful members of the family, even remaining the strongman of southern Morocco under French Protectorate rule in the 20th century. It was Thami, towards the end of the 19th century, who built the family palace in Fez, and who also began construction of another vast residence in Marrakesh (known today as the Dar el Bacha). The palace in Fes was located in the al-'Uyun ("the Sources") neighbourhood, also known today as the Ziat or Ziyat neighbourhood, which until the 19th century was a garden district with relatively plenty of open space to build, thus attracting the construction of several new mansions by wealthy families such as the Dar Moqri and the Dar al-Tazi. The Dar Glaoui in Fez was also the first building in Morocco to have electricity and heating.: 39 



Accommodations near Dar Glaoui

View more options near Dar Glaoui0

Nearby Tours & Activities