Café Procope

Gentilly, France

Café Procope

The Café Procope, in rue de l'Ancienne Comédie, 6th arrondissement, is called the oldest café of Paris in continuous operation. It was opened in 1686 by the Sicilian chef Procopio Cutò (also known by his Italian name Francesco Procopio dei Coltelli and his French name François Procope), and was a hub of the artistic and literary community in 18th and 19th century Paris. However, the original café closed in 1872 and did not reopen as a café until the 1920s, so the claim of "oldest café in continuous operation" is not entirely true. Marie Antoinette and Napoleon Bonaparte frequented the restaurant.


Accommodations near Café Procope

View more accommodations near Café Procope

Nearby Tours & activities