Charles V Wall

Gibraltar, Gibraltar

Charles V Wall

The Charles V Wall is a 16th-century defensive curtain wall that forms part of the fortifications of the British Overseas Territory of Gibraltar. Originally called Muralla de San Benito (English: St. Benedict's Wall), it was built in 1540 and strengthened in 1552 by Holy Roman Emperor Charles V. The wall remains largely intact and extends from South Bastion, which was once at the water's edge in the harbour, to the top ridge of the Rock of Gibraltar.

The lower section of the wall runs up from the South Bastion which was once at the water's edge in the harbour, to Prince Edward's Gate at the base of a steep cliff. It is pierced by the Puerta de África (English: Gate of Africa), which is defended from above by the Flat Bastion.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info


Accommodations near Charles V Wall

View more options near Charles V Wall0

Nearby Tours & Activities