Collegiate Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St Anne, Glasgow

Glasgow, United Kingdom

Collegiate Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St Anne, Glasgow

The Collegiate Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St Anne, Glasgow, was founded in the middle of the sixteenth century by James Houstoun, Subdean of Glasgow and Rector of the University of Glasgow from 1534–41. The church was located on the south side of Trongate. Two copies of its Latin constitution, dating from 1549, have survived in the city archives. These provide detailed information about the structure of the college and its funding. James Houstoun's original provision was for a Provost, eight canons or prebends, and three choristers, but later benefactions extended this. The prebends were supported by property scattered across the city, and in Dalry, Maybole and Rutherglen.

The third prebend was the organist, who was also in charge of the Song School for the instruction of the youth in plainsong and descant, which stood on the west side of the church. When their voices broke, choristers would continue their education at the Grammar School.



Accommodations near Collegiate Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St Anne, Glasgow

View more options near Collegiate Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St Anne, Glasgow0

Nearby Tours & Activities