Glasgow Botanic Gardens

Glasgow, United Kingdom

Glasgow Botanic Gardens

9.2

link http://www.glasgowbotanicgardens.com/

phone  0141 276 1614

Glasgow Botanic Gardens is a botanical garden located in the West End of Glasgow, Scotland. It features several glasshouses, the most notable of which is the Kibble Palace. In 1817 about 8 acres (32,000 m2) of land were laid out at Sandyford, near Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, and run by the Royal Botanic Institution of Glasgow (founded by Thomas Hopkirk of Dalbeth), and were intended to supply the University of Glasgow. William Hooker was regius professor of botany at Glasgow University, and contributed to the development of the Botanic Gardens before his appointment to the directorship of Kew Gardens in London. The Gardens moved to its current location in 1842. The gardens were originally used for concerts and other events, and in 1891 the gardens were incorporated into the Parks and Gardens of the City of Glasgow.


Accommodations near Glasgow Botanic Gardens

View more accommodations near Glasgow Botanic Gardens

Nearby Tours & activities