Glasgow Green

Glasgow, United Kingdom

Glasgow Green

9

Glasgow Green is a park in the east end of Glasgow, Scotland, on the north bank of the River Clyde. Established in the 15th century, it is the oldest park in the city.

In 1450, King James II granted the parkland to Bishop William Turnbull and the people of Glasgow. The Green then looked quite different from the Green today. It was an uneven, swampy area made up of several distinct "greens" (separated by the Camlachie and Molendinar Burns): the High Green; the Low Green; the Calton Green; and the Gallowgate Green. In the centuries that followed, the parkland was used for grazing, washing and bleaching linen, drying fishing nets, and recreational activities like swimming. In 1732, Glasgow’s first steamie, called the Washhouse, opened on the banks of the Camlachie Burn.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Glasgow Green

View more options near Glasgow Green

Nearby Tours & Activities